Just a few bits of info for y'all from the Rep Council yesterday evening:
- USI (Union of Students in Ireland) have begun a nation wide campaign against the year on year rise in college fees. As some of you may have heard, there is a march planned for Nov 16th. For anyone brave enough, there is also going to be a camp out this year, which we were assured will be well organised. The location hasn't been 100% confirmed yet but they plan on having an area securely sectioned off, manned by security guards, with toilets, hot food and drinks all available within that area. The SU would like as many of us as possible to turn out for the march and the camp out if possible!
- As well as the march, the SU plan on starting a letter campaign later in the year targeting local politicians & in particular Labour TDs like Eamon Gilmore and Ruairi Quinn who previously pledged NOT to raise fees & to protect grants but failed to keep their word... I will most likely be given a pre-written letter/email which each of you just need to put your signature to, unless you'd like to write your own strongly worded rant which you are, of course, more than welcome to do!
- Computers: Some of you mentioned problems you were having with printers/computers around the college, unfortunately there's not much that can be done at the moment but it is being worked on. Almost all classes had complaints about the computers in the college. Lisa, our Education Officer, has contacted ICT in the hope of setting up a meeting with them so that they can come to some sort of arrangement regarding quicker repairs of computers/printers and quicker responses to requests for new passwords for Blackboard, student email, ect. but she is still awaiting a reply...
- Library Hours: Apparently the limited opening hours are due to new staff being trained in... Lisa has organised for some of the computer labs to be open late instead (see facebook post for room numbers). The library opening hours are due to get back to normal from next Tues (9.15am - 9.00pm Mon-Thurs, 9.15am-5.00pm Fri, 10.30am-4.30pm Sat).
- Clubs & Socs space: The SU has signed a lease to rent unit 16 in Deansgrange Business Park. Just to let you know this space isn't just for clubs & socs, it can be used by students for group projects as it's open till 11pm. If you want to book it just give the SU a shout and do it a week in advance of when you need it.
- CA Deadlines: I know this is a major problem but unfortunately it will have to wait until the Programme Board Meeting with our lecturers, I haven't been given a date for this yet but I will definitely be bringing it up!!!
Well I think that's everything! These rep council meetings are every month so if there's an issue you want discussed just give myself or Gita a shout & we'll make sure it's on the agenda for the next meeting!